December 31, 2003

Recollections of 2003...4

Before this year, I forgot the last time I blushed by virtue of the presense of a guy (and some of his very kind compliments and unexpected questions). He's one of the 'first' in this year. Someone from a very different background as I come from, someone who came by my life as a very refreshing character. A musician, he likes to think he is. Well, my own experience is that he can play the guitar really well. And he picked up Salsa dance really fast. If not for the fact that he's attached now, maybe we could go take up salsa dance class together. But, anyway, he's been a really interesting person to know. MIA now, nevertheless, he's definitely on my list of reasons why I'm thankful for the past 364 days.

Another thing is that he introduced me to this really really neat cafe - Fat Frog Cafe - where Wenn and I frequent nowadays to chill out on Sat nights, immersed in beautiful vocals and delightful guitar. Definitely a lovely alternative to Sat night clubbing (which I still do, but more on Ladies' Night now). Surprisingly, it was one of the things I missed most when I was away in K.L recently.

Then, there's my first time organising (and some might say, leading) a high-tea gathering for close to 70 persons, at a rather neat place - Meritus Mandarin Hotel. There're a couple of things I've deduced from this event. That, guests enjoy the attention they get for being really late in arriving; some young people can be even more boring than 'uncles' and 'aunties'; no matter how well you think you co-ordinated something, there will be people to screw it up for you; it's important to know how to socialise and be versatile in whichever status you are and in any circumstance open to you; it's wishful thinking for the organisers to get the lucky draw gift that they desire unless they 'kelong'; my speech was better delivered in Mandarin than in English (haha). Oh! And that the Banquet manager of M.M Hotel is quite a cute guy, nice voice too. haha.. opps!!!
It was good training for someone as inexperienced as me. For that, I am thankful.

For the same event, I'm thankful twice. The 2nd time 'cos it brought a new friend into my circle. For a while there, I was thinking less and less of Singaporean men. Negative, whining/MCP, think too highly of themselves, single-tracked mind, pessimistic... Argh! Then, along came this guy. Soft-spoken, polite and humble. I'm suitably impressed, to be honest. It's that easy to start a friendship. But, gonna take more effort to build a friendship. But, I'm quite confident this one will grow. If not for more elaborate reasons, it's for the simple reasons that many centuries ago, we belonged to the same family (hee) and Enelya (my elvish name) simple adores Aragorn! Haha...

My first job after graduation was tele-interviewing at Gartner. It was a temp assignment. It was a marvellous 2 months. The job and the quota could be quite stressful but tell you, my colleagues definitely more than made up for it. 'Uncle' Snow, Annie, Jeri, Jacq, Val, LWK, Raymond, Alicia, all of them made the 2 months a really enriching time. And, as a matter of fact, I'm going to meet them for some kite-flying later, after work. heh...

Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 09:41